New Year... New Me?

Friday, January 02, 2015

Alas 2014 has come to an end and we venture into the year of 2015. This calls for a time of reflection and a time for goals, to think about the good and the bad and to grow as a person as the calendar flicks over.

~

Family has been a very important part of this year, a lot more than usual. There's been deaths and a lot of hospital visits, so knowing the importance of life and treasuring the time I have with those close to me has become very important. The phrase "blood is thicker than water" although can become irritating it is very true; my parents and brother are some of the most important people in my life, and I honestly couldn't be where I am today without them.

Relationships has been something I've always felt difficult; not knowing what to say or do, creating 'awkward silences' or feeling like an annoyance when I'm really not drives me crazy. I've made a lot of new friendships this year, and it has been fantastic to start to feel like I can really be myself around others instead of hide away in fear.This year however, I've become more aware of toxic friendships, and people who drag me down instead of bringing me up to my potential are something I don't need to have in my life.

Confidence has been something I have always struggled with, having anxiety for as long as I remember, and this year being diagnosed with depression has hit me hard especially. I have my friends and family supporting me which makes me feel incredibly appreciated, as I build up my self-esteem I find my confidence growing and I can be who I want to be and it's honestly the best feeling.

Health is another aspect of my life that I have trouble with, but recently I have found ways of becoming healthier and it not only makes me look good, it makes me feel great! I started running a few months back, and using up my energy makes me less lethargic and builds up my hunger. Food is a struggle also, because I stopped eating for a long time a while back, so trying to regain my lost appetite has been difficult, but eating what my counsellor calls "baby foods" such as frozen berries and yoghurt instead of skipping a meal has really made an improvement on my whole well-being.

Design has become a true passion of mine this year. I've just finished my second year of my Visual Communication Design degree and I can't wait to enter my second half of my course and learn and grow as an artist. I have got a small collection of drawing pads filled with designs and illustrations that I have created in my spare time and I've discovered a real love for typography. Looking back on my work from highschool I am so proud of how much I have improved. Also, getting two A+ grades, something I never knew was possible for myself to do has been a real eye opener of how amazing this career field is!

~

I have created some goals for myself to aim for for the year of 2015, not resolutions as I never am able to achieve them and they seem pretty full on for myself, personally. My goals for this new year are to improve on my total well-being (socially, physically and mentally) to get to a happier state in life, and I would love to grow as a designer, to learn more about my creative field and to let my 'inner me' flow!

Let me know in the comments or through my social media about how your 2014 has been, and what you're expecting from 2015. Do you agree with some of the things I have learnt, do you disagree with anything I've said, or do you have more to add? I'd love to hear from you all.



- Louise x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe